The topic of discussion for this episode of the podcast is one that affects pretty much anyone who visits Las Vegas: RESORT FEES!
For those unfamiliar with the concept, "Resort Fees" are extra fees that most Vegas hotels will charge guests in addition to the actual room rate. Depending on the hotel you're staying at, those fees range anywhere from an additional $25-$45 per night and for lower-end hotels, the resort fee is actually HIGHER than the published room rate.
And what do you get for that extra cash? The hotels try to claim they're giving you access to the pool, resort wi-fi, the fitness center, free local calls and other goodies. In fact, what they're actually giving you is nothing.
Joining me for this episode of the podcast is Lauren Wolfe, a Washington, D.C.-based lawyer who, like a lot of other who travel to Las Vegas - and elsewhere in the US where the Resort Fee Plague is spreading - got tired of paying this so-called mandatory fee in exchange for, essentially, nothing. So, she decided to do something about it.
Lauren is the founder & creator of Kill Resort Fees, a website not only devoted to eliminating resort fees entirely, but educating people on how to avoid resort fees, how to get their resort fees refunded and how to force the government to take action against this illegal practice.
In addition to checking out the website, you can follow Kill Resort Fees on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Also in this episode...Vegas News You Can Use:
- Work has begun on the Viva Vision upgrade at the Fremont Street Experience
- The Pinball Hall of Fame & Museum has taken the first step towards getting their new location
- And another week means another residency announcement...Paula Abdul is coming to the Flamingo
And some quick plugs for some upcoming events:
- If you're in Las Vegas on a Friday night and looking for something different to do, join my very good friend Kenny Davidsen at the Piazza Lounge in the Tuscany Suites & Casino as he hosts Kenny Davidsen's Celebrity Piano Bar. You never know who might show up to perform!
- Be sure to check out friend of the podcast, John Di Domenico as he brings Donald Trump to life as part of Ester Goldberg's Totally Outrageous Brunch every Saturday and Sunday at the SLS Hotel & Casino. Get your tickets at TotallyOutrageousBrunch.com
- Hockey fans...take note: Five-time Stanley Cup Winner & Hockey Hall of Famer, Grant Fuhr is coming to The Space on July 6th for a special screening of his documentary, "Making Coco: The Grant Fuhr Story", followed by a special Q&A session with the legend himself. Tickets and info available at TheSpaceLV.com
- - And don't forget about the best value in Vegas entertainment, Mondays Dark! Join host Mark Shunock and his friends as they raise $10K in 90 minutes for a different local Las Vegas charity every show! Information and tickets available at mondaysdark.com